Weekends still feel special, even now, and there’s no better way to get it started than making a drink that creates an occasion which the whole family can enjoy.
Mocktails for the little ones and cocktails or an aperitif for you, then gather friends and family on Zoom – voilà, a party! Or keep the party intimate with just you and your family - perfect.
There’s something very satisfying about making your own cocktail, it’s a craft. The ingredients on their own might not be so tasty, but perfectly measured and they’re insanely delicious!
The Ickworth was built for entertaining, it’s in the building’s and our DNA! We pride ourselves on creating perfectly prepared and delicious cocktails, mocktails and aperitifs. It sets the tone for the evening to come. When we reopen, the hotel will come back to life and once more we’ll be pouring some timeless and delectable flavours!
To help you create some special moments at home, we’re excited to share these simple tips with you:
1. Mixology is now an artform but it doesn’t have to be tricky. The simplest cocktails and mocktails are tasty achievements and it’ll mean you’ll have more time to spend enjoying your bar tendering efforts.
2. Use the right type of glass for your cocktail/mocktail, not only does it make it feel more special but there’s a practical reason too; maybe it’s for keeping your drink at a certain temperature, or for preserving the bubbles. The Martini glass was supposedly created in the 1920s so the drink could be easily discarded when the police arrived to break up a party!
3. Add fresh herbs, and other suitable ingredients which are cut to the right size. The freshness adds flavour and it’ll give the drink a fun and funky guise.
4. Invest in a cocktail shaker and measuring cup if you don’t already have them. The shaker will create the perfect blend of flavour as there’s no better way to mix the ingredients thoroughly, and careful measuring is the secret to the perfect drink.
5. Make your own simple syrup, it’s easy and it’ll make a difference. Mix 200g white sugar with 200ml boiling water and stir until it’s clear. Then refrigerate until it’s needed. A simple and easy way to go that extra step with your cocktail creations. You can even add spice mixes or flavours such as cinnamon to add depth to your cocktail.
We recommend making a Rainbow Cooler for the very little ones, a Virgin Piña Colada for the older ones and a Montagna Martini cocktail for you! Some old school favourites for us and with good reason. Why not try making these delicious drinks at home?
Rainbow Cooler Mocktail
Ingredients; pineapple juice, orange juice and pomegranate juice.
Method; pour equal amounts of each juice into a glass and add ice with a slice of orange. Simple but very tasty!
Virgin Piña Colada Mocktail
Ingredients; 75ml milk, 50ml orange juice, 25ml pineapple juice, splash of coconut syrup and a splash of vanilla syrup.
Method; place all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker and shake! Pour into a glass and add slices of pineapple and orange. Close your eyes and imagine being on the beach! If it’s for you, make it an extra special treat and turn it into a cocktail by adding 50ml of white rum into the shaker!
Montagna Martini Cocktail
This is our General Manager’s all-time favourite cocktail; it takes her back to her years in Aspen. Please take note! It’s delicious and fun, but incredibly strong!
Ingredients; 50ml apple vodka, 25ml elderflower liquor, a healthy splash of fizz! To make the sugar rim; sugar, food colouring.
Method; we recommend using a coupe style glass or a Martini glass works just as well. To make the sugar rim; pour some sugar onto a plate and add the food colouring and mix. Leave it to dry out so it doesn’t go lumpy. When dry, hold the glass by the stem and place the rim into the sugar mixture, rotating it left and right. To make the cocktail; place lots of ice into a shaker and add the apple vodka and elderflower liquor and shake! Pour into the sugar rimmed glass and top it up with a splash of fizz.
If you prefer an aperitif, there’s plenty of options. From a carefully chosen gin mixed with a premium tonic to enhance the spirit, to a refreshing chilled glass of Fizz. We love Hambledon Classic, an award winning English sparkling wine.
We’re delighted to have teamed up with The Pickle House and Sapling vodka which combined makes the best Bloody Mary you’ll ever taste. There’s no other drink that can be enjoyed as an aperitif, as well as be acceptable to drink with breakfast (especially if a hangover cure is required!) The Pickle House juice works just as well in a Red Snapper or Bloody Maria too.
Create a special family moment this weekend with crafting, mixing, and tasting; just add nibbles!